So you say you don't have time to look at all the stuff I have posted here?
You don't have time to read my entire autobiography? Or perhaps you just want a quick idea about
who the creator behind Rick's Studio is? I think you can tell alot about
people from their hobbies and interests, so I present here a short list of
biographical information, followed by a "favorites" list detailing some of my
If you have any ideas for other questions of general interest, let me know
and I'll try my best to answer them and add them to the list.
Return to Top
- Richard Bryan Hines, but most people call me "Rick."
- May 22, 1959, Chicago, Illinois. This makes me a Gemini, with the
twins symbol. As a true divided Gemini, I find myself living half my
life as a logical engineer, the other half as an intuitive artist (not
that I actually believe that stuff, mind you!).
- Current Residence
- Lemon Grove, California, U.S.A. (just east of San Diego)
- Immediate Family
- Dad, Walt Hines (deceased)
- Mom, Kay Branaman (deceased)
- Brother, Greg Hines
- Extended Family
- Step Mom, Marianne Barrett
- Step Dad, Ed Branaman (deceased)
- Sister-In-Law, Kathy Hines
- Neice, Emily Hines
- Nephew, Mark Hines
- Professional Occupation
- Structural Engineering. Currently working as an
architectural designer and CAD supervisor for Martin & Libby
Engineers in San Diego.
- Life Calling
- Artist. I may make my money doing engineering, but I live
and breathe art all the rest of the time. I live a very art-filled
Bohemian lifestyle, collecting music, attending art shows and concerts,
and creating the art and music you will find here at Rick's Studio.
- Snider High School, Ft. Wayne, Indiana
- Fine Art Major, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
- Architectural Engineering Major, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana
- Hobbies Beside the Obvious
- Collecting music
- Attending concerts
- Watching TV and movies
- Hiking, camping, and backpacking
- Hanging out with my cat, Cali
Return to Top
- Favorite Color
- Black. As an artist, I try not to be biased against colors since
each color has its own time to be used. However, I have found that
people seem to prefer black attire when attending arts functions, and
as a full-time artist, I have adopted that color for my full-time
wardrobe. Rarely will you see me wear anything else except at the gym.
- Favorite Foods
- Broiled Maine Lobster. I had this once, and it became the standard
by which all other meals are measured.
- Anything chocolate. Anything.
- Pizza. But no anchovies or pineapple!
- Favorite Visual Artists
- Ansel Adams
- Francis Bacon
- Salvador Dali
- Roger Dean
- Roy Lichtenstein
- Pablo Picasso
- Robert Raushenberg
- Andy Warhol
- Favorite Musicians
- The Beatles
- James Brown
- Kate Bush
- Chicago (the Terry Kath days)
- The Clash
- Bob Dylan
- Brian Eno
- Gang of Four
- Jimi Hendrix
- Jefferson Airplane
- Jethro Tull
- King Crimson
- New Order/Joy Division
- Pearl Jam
- The Rolling Stones
- Roxy Music
- The Sex Pistols/Public Image Ltd.
- Sonic Youth
- Talking Heads
- The Velvet Underground
- The Who
- Ornette Coleman
- John Coltrane
- Miles Davis
- Herbie Hancock
- Charles Mingus
- Charlie Parker
- Jaco Pastorius
- Wayne Shorter
- Weather Report
- Bang On a Can
- John Cage
- Philip Glass
- Kronos Quartet
- György Ligeti
- Steve Reich
- Morton Subotnick
- Favorite Movies
- Being John Malkovich, directed by Spike Jonze.
- A Clockwork Orange, directed by Stanley Kubrick.
- Das Boot, directed by Wolfgang Petersen.
- 8½, directed by Federico Fellini.
- The Kids Are Alright, directed by Jeff Stein.
- Powaqqatsi, directed by Godfrey Reggio.
- A Streetcar Named Desire, directed by Elia Kazan.
- 2001: A Space Odyssey, directed by Stanley Kubrick.
- Favorite Books
- Again, Dangerous Visions, edited by Harlan Ellison
- Dhalgren, by Samuel R. Delany
- The Foundation Series, by Isaac Asimov
- The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand
- Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
- Milestones, by Jack Chambers
- The Rama Series, by Arthur C. Clarke
- War and Peace, by Leo Tolstoy
- Favorite TV Shows
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents
- The Big Bang Theory
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Family Guy
- I Dream of Jeannie
- The Prisoner
- South Park
- Star Trek (the Original & the Next Generation)
- The Twilight Zone
- Twin Peaks (original miniseries)
- The Wild, Wild West
- Xena: Warrior Princess
- Favorite Sports
- Disc golf
- Green Bay Packers NFL Football
All work displayed on this page © 2007 Rick Hines.
Material may not be used without the artist's written permission.